Monday, March 05, 2007

Get well, Steven!

If you've missed Steven, so have I. Steven was one of the most regular contributors on this blog during the months before Christmas, and we almost always disagreed. In one of his comments, he mentioned that he is a CPA and that he would be extremely busy once tax season began after the New Year, so I wasn't surprised when his comments quit coming in.

I received an email from Steven yesterday, and it turns out that he's got a lot more going on than figuring out how to save his clients' pocketbooks from Uncle Sam. A few weeks ago, Steven was diagnosed with a rather dangerous form of prostate cancer, so he is now being treated for that.

When it comes to education issues, Steven and I have about as much in common as George W. Bush and Hillary Clinton. We have had our little verbal spats on this blog, but that's okay. (I think I've been having about a six-month spat with KDerosa and Crypticlife!) It's always nice to look at the comments on a post and see those of people who agree with you, but I know it makes it a lot more interesting when you have people like Steven who are willing to disagree. Although Steven's views are so much different than mine, I've really come to like and respect him. He's willing to take unpopular stands and stick with them, he's demonstrated a sense of humor, and by consistently being able to disagree withoug being disagreeable he's made our arguments fun.

Steven will be in my thoughts and prayers, and I hope he'll be in yours. He's a good guy, and we need him back. I know this blog sure does!

Get well, Steven. But when you're feeling better, be prepared to get verbally thrashed again! ;-)

5 Comments:

Blogger CrypticLife said...

Indeed, get well Steven, and help us do some verbal thrashing ;)


*CrypticLife is secretly amazed by all the frontpage mentions and starts looking over his shoulder*

3/05/2007 4:02 PM  
Blogger TurbineGuy said...

Get well Steven.

The reason bloggers with opposing views frequent your blog is because you are open to ideas. You are willing to listen and debate honestly.

This is reflected in your comments section. Look at how many comments you got in your last few posts.

3/05/2007 5:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's because all of us who read here want to improve education - just our methods for doing so differ.

I also wish Steven a speedy recovery!

3/06/2007 8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dennis, I never expected you to write about this in your blog. Not that I mind you doing so. But since you did, I want to let everyone know how absolutely important it is to get your regular medical exams and not put them off. I have a prostate cancer gleason score of 8, which is indicative of an aggressive cancer that will spread quickly, and I did not experience ANY of the typical symptoms for prostate cancer. The only thing that triggered my physician to refer me to a urologist was an elevated PSA in my blood work that was done with my annual physical exam. Otherwise I had no idea there was any problem. And I'm a few years younger than you, Dennis (I just turned 52).

So, guys (and gals) - get your regular checkups. Don't put them off!

3/06/2007 3:18 PM  
Blogger Dennis Fermoyle said...

Great advice, Steven! I remember reading in Sports Illustrated about a funny statement that Joe Torre made after becoming a father when he was in his 50s. He was asked what it was like. He answered by saying something like this: "It's great! The kid's right on my schedule. He gets up three times every night." I laughed when I read that because I know the feeling. Within a year or two, the new story was that Joe Torre had prostate cancer.

3/06/2007 4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home